July 27, 2008

Finally, Some Good News

I have nearly stopped listening to the news, it is so depressing these days with regard to the economy. And it seems that the economic turn-around is further out with every new forecast. However, in my mailbox the other day came one small bit of good news, and I do mean small. The interest rate on one of our student loans has been lowered for the coming year resulting in a $17/month savings. Now I know this may not sound like the time to rejoice but it is. I could gloss over this small victory or be excited about that money back in my pocket, $194/annually. However, I've decided that we do not need the $17/month. In addition to paying the revised monthly student loan amount I will ADD an automatic payment of $25/month. This will be comprised of the $17/mo I was already paying plus an additional $8/mo that I am throwing in to round up the amount. At the end of the year I will have paid $300 more for that loan than the company requires, speeding up my repayment. Now that is something to get excited about for an $8/month effort on our part!

Is there any small bit of good news in your life that you can turn into even better news? Perhaps there is some "found" money that can pay off a debt faster, as we chose or perhaps put it into savings for a future unforeseen expense (i.e. auto or home repair) giving you peace of mind, or perhaps it is the seed money for something fun like a vacation fund that you had always hoped to have. I can't wait to hear!

No comments: