July 14, 2008

Free Shorts


A few days ago my neighbor, who I do not know super well, yells across the fence to me, "Anneke, what size shorts do you wear?" Now this is information that I am not likely to share with anyone, much less yelling it across property lines. However, the neighbor comes over and proceeds to tell me that she has some shorts that don't fit and asks if I would be interested. I hesitate and then proceed to tell her my pant size. The following day she brings 4 pairs of shorts to me. At first glance I figure that I will simply pass them along to Value Village, but later that day I actually try them on and low and behold, 3 out of the 4 pair look great on me. Free shorts.

Since beginning to live large with less, my husband and I joke that, "yes, there is such a thing as a free lunch." The only caveat is that you must keep your eyes and ears open to see these gifts. God has surprised us in our journey with more than one free meal, free entertainment, and sometimes free samples of new products and most recently, free shorts. My charge is that you keep an open mind and see what might be out there for you, and more often than not it will be at just the right time. God knew I had exactly one pair of shorts that fit properly.

No comments: