September 4, 2008

Time for More Creativity

This is the first photo I have of me with my now infamous cast, or 'summer bummer' as someone called it. This summer has been full of lessons for me as I was forced to slow down. Since I could not drive it forced me to be resourceful and creative in how I would get from place to place. I have learned to scooter at a fast pace chasing behind Lukas on his bike or at a quick pace alongside of my jogging friend. I also learned to enjoy the Metro bus service recently, a very nice lift slides out of the bus to get me aboard. And most importantly I have been carpooling with all of my gracious friends, who have delivered both me and Lukas to our destinations.

You may be wondering how this ties in with my teachings of Living Large with Less and once again, I see some parallels. Working with limitations (financial or otherwise) can force you to seek solutions you might not have considered. The side benefit of my creative transportation methods include: getting to know my co-workers better during our carpool commutes, spending less money on gas, being able to get out of the house to exercise with my scooter, and some fun memories to boot. I would not have discovered any of these blessings without being forced into my non-driving state. The same can happen with finances, desperate times can force change. But why wait for desperate times, put on your creative thinking cap and consider ways to save money for your household in just one budget category or consider a new purpose for something you considered old, as the previous post describes. Creativity is a wonderful asset whether your cup is half full or half empty. I'd love to hear your stories on how a less than ideal situation resulted in a creative solution.

No comments: